EMCC’s Leadership Program for Senior Children
East Melbourne Childcare Co-op (EMCC) believes that all children have the potential to be leaders. In 2019, we introduced a new leadership program for senior children, the Children’s Advisory Council (CAC). The CAC is made up of all four-year-old kindergarten children who are invited to join.
The purpose of the CAC is to support and empower children to participate as active citizens and learners. We consult with the children on a range of topics and projects that affect them, their community, and society as a whole.
To date, the children have consulted on subjects such as:
- Menu planning: The children shared their thoughts on what foods they would like to see on the menu. Their opinions were published on the Nutrition Australia website.
- National Quality Standards: The children shared their perspective on how EMCC is achieving the National Quality Standards. Their feedback informed our Quality Improvement Plan.
- Local amenities: The children shared their thoughts on how the local playground could be improved. Their feedback was sent to the local council.
- EMCC Philosophy review: The children shared their thoughts on what EMCC stands for and how we can make it even better. Their feedback was used to update our philosophy statement.
- Environmental and humanitarian causes: The children have supported a number of environmental and humanitarian causes, such as the Helping Hands initiative, solar grant projects and waste reduction.
The CAC is a valuable opportunity for children to learn about leadership, civic engagement, and social responsibility. It is also a great way for them to have their voices heard and make a difference in the world.
We are proud of the work that the CAC has done so far, and we look forward to continuing to consult with them on a range of topics in the future.